I blinked… and it was September. How the heck did that happen? Seriously?? Well – here we are – and it’s time to get down to business. My next message will be all about that. But today is just for the superwomen in the house… you know who you are! Hopefully, this will give you a chuckle and help you take a breath. You deserve it!
Recently I happened on a post I wrote awhile back entitled “Owning The Cape.” It’s about the struggle to be superwoman… A subject I’ve dealt with literally all my life. Funny that I should happen on it a day when I’ve made several minor mistakes. Left my cell phone at home… Then the car. Missed 3 (Count ’em… 3!) Trains on the process. A bumpy start to say the least.
On my way to work I begin to think about my amazing tribe of superwomen. Some are more balanced than others. Lately, I’ve been feeling a bit off kilter. I’ve made some decisions to slow my roll a bit. But then I start feeling like a slacker. Sound familiar? If this is you – take a moment and BREATHE. This message is for you.
Here are a few things we can do to maintain our sanity.
- Breathe. Literally. Sometimes we get in “fight or flight” mode and can even tense up and stop breathing! Take a deep breath. Take another one. Put on some music while you work. Walk around the block. Give yourself some space.
- Cut yourself some slack. Why are we so hard on ourselves? Nobody’s perfect, yet somehow we bought into this image that keeps us acting as if we have to keep up a façade of competence, strength, and courage. Allow yourself to be human.
- Get help. This is the hardest thing for us to do! But it’s so important. Delegate (and then LET GO). Hire help if you need to, or find services that will help lighten your load.
- Find ways to connect and refresh. Today I had lunch with a dear friend. We laughed about my fumbled start to the day. It was good to be with someone who ‘gets it’. Connect with people who care.
- Indulge in things you love. This can be big or little. A day in with jammies and a new book or binge watching Netflix. Buy flowers for yourself. Chocolate lover? Get some of the good stuff on occasion. Life is for living!
Now, take another deep breath. Feels good, doesn’t it? I know you are slaying dragons, knocking down walls and leaping tall buildings with a single bound. But you have to be good to yourself in the process.
Much love… Trina
Here’s the blog I wrote in 2010. I hope you enjoy it!
PS. Are you struggling with your cape? Or feeling the urge to do more? Join me and other wise and fabulous women on a new journey http://bit.ly/JustDoYouInstitute.
IT’S TIME – TO JUST DO YOU.